The Town of Carstairs is committed to the Municipal Sustainability Plan in which one of the five pillars is the Environment. The town encourages each department daily to promote creating a sustainable community through protecting natural resources.
Two areas that the town and residents are able to promote sustainability are through garbage and recycling.
Space the garbage and recycling bins approximately 4 feet apart to ensure the truck arms do not knock over the other bin. Roll out bins should be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. to ensure pickup.
The compost recycle bin is located at 229 9 Avenue North and is available 24/7 April 11, 2022 (weather dependent) through October 2022.
- grass clippings
- NO ORGANICS (potato peels vegetables fruit, egg shells)
- NO BRANCHES or TWIGS
Household hazardous waste is accepted at the Didsbury Landfill.
- Pouring hazardous waste down the drain may corrode plumbing, release toxic fumes, poison septic tanks, destroy sewage works organisms and contaminate both surface and ground water.
- Putting hazardous wastes out for garbage collection may result in injury to sanitation crews and the contamination of water supplies.
- Direct disposal in the ground or pouring hazardous wastes on the surface may contaminate the soil and local surface ground water.
Hazardous Wastes Include
- Corrosive materials: battery acids, drain cleansers, oven cleaners
- Toxic materials: pesticides, pharmaceutical, cleaning fluids
- Reactive materials: ammonia, bleach, pool chemicals
- Flammable materials: gasoline, paints, oils
- Other materials: cosmetics, glue, batteries, propane tanks, sharps (needles and syringes in rigid containers only)
To Recycle Household Hazardous Waste
Take your hazardous Waste to Didsbury Landfill.
DIDSBURY LANDFILL & TRANSFER SITE
Mountain View Regional Waste Commission runs the Landfill and Transfer Site in Didsbury. Hours of operation:
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday.
Please note that this is a user pay site. For directions or more information, please call 403.335.2005 or visit Mountain View Waste Commission.
Environmental 360 is our current recycle provider and picks up recycling every Friday on a biweekly rotation, using blue bin curbside pick up. Not sure what is allowed in the blue bin? Check out the link below to find out!
eWaste Collection is done at the 2A Bottle Depot 401 9 Avenue located across the street from the Co-op Gas Bar. Hours of operation are Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Saturday 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. For questions regarding what is accepted and what is not accepted in the eWaste bin please contact 2A Bottle Depot at 403.337.3800.